Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's Delightful...It's Delovely

Sometimes I'm amazed how delightful the unexpected can be. When something good happens unexpectedly I always enjoy it more than when I've been waiting for it. Like when you go to see a movie and you don't think it's going to be anything much, but it turns out to be a new favorite. Or when you start out a day on the wrong foot, but then out of nowhere things turn around. Today was such a day. The day started with rushing to finish an assignment, traffic and being late to class, then I went to work and there was a letter on my desk from HR. "Effective February 16, 2008, the beginning pay for the position you are in will increase to $*.** per hour. Your pay is also being brought up to $*.**, an hourly increase of $2.41."

What a boon! and entirely unexpected. My boss had pulled some strings and got me a better pay which was great because I have been working at this job for over a year and not getting payed very much at all. I had thought about quitting a few times, but I just couldn't leave my boss who needed my help and had been so kind to me. Today my loyalty payed off and who would have thunk it... Delightful.

I have had a few other great unexpectations lately too, one of them being that an old friend of mine from college that I had lost track of just happens to be in my new ward and just happens to be looking for a new place to live right when one of my roommates is getting married. So she will be moving into our place in May. Who could have seen that coming?

Thank heaven for all the those delightful little turn of events that make life delovely!

4 comments:

ww said...

The title of this item reminds me of the lyrics of a song:
"He's not vicious
Or malicious
Just de-lovely
and delicious".

Personally, I've not sure if the "de" that everyone perceives on the beginning of "lovely" is really just the release of the preceding /t/, but it's fun anyway. :)

Amber said...

Actually the title is from the lyrics to the song. It's Delovely by Cole Porter. So maybe that's where Dee-Lite got it's lyrics, they did come a few years later.

Here's one of the refrains:

"The night is young, the skies are clear
And if you want to go walkin', dear
It's delightful, it's delicious, it's de-lovely".

So what could we call that assimilation? reduplication? harmony? ;)

ww said...

Would you believe I brought this up in lab meeting and we actually had a discussion about it? I'm gonna go with "syllable harmony..." Tee hee. I made that up.

Jessi said...

I know this happened way long ago and you may not even be working the same job, but-hey! That's great. Loyalty is an a great quality to have.