Tuesday, March 18, 2008

May you be a half an hour in Heaven before the Devil knows your dead


A Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day to ye all-


I celebrated St. Patty's Day in high style yesterday. I invited a few people over for baked potatoes and we listened to Irish music and recited Limericks and spoke with Irish accents. It was too fun. I also watched Disney's Darby O' Gill and the Little People. It's a cute little movie featuring a very young Sean Connery. I love it! I believe it was this movie that began my obsession with Ireland.
I first saw it when I was quite young when my sister and I would check out all the old Disney movies we could from the library. I think I was first mezmerized by the delightful Irish accents and witty turns of phrase and then of course the landscape was beautiful and quaint.
But what I like best about this land is that it is a mystical, magical place. It seems like anything could happen there. It was another movie that really made me believe this, The Secret of Roan Inish. It took my breath away. It's a beautiful, captivating movie. I finally did get to go to Ireland a few years ago, but only for a three days! Not nearly long enough. I'm including photos from my trip. Wouldn't it be lovely to live there for a little while? Maybe in a little village, (like Waking Ned Devine) and just soak in the culture and ambiance. Ah, one day!

I will now leave you with an Irish blessing:

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,

wherever you may roam.



5 comments:

jennifer said...

I love Darby O'Gill and the Little People! I will admit though, that the banshee scares me to this day.

Lindy said...

Darby O'Gill and The Little People is such an awesome movie. A lot of things in it, including the banshee, creep me out, but Sean Connery singing really makes up for the creepiness.

And those are gorgeous pictures! :)

The Ruggers said...

I love the cow and field picture! It's another prize winner. Trust me, Amber, find a contest and turn it in! It's beautiful.

Jessi said...

Oh, WOW. Those pictures are beautiful. The ocean pic is seriously breath-taking. And the cow picture!! Gorgeous colors.

Jessi said...

Mm.. I've never seen any of those movies, though.