Sunday, May 18, 2008

Picture pages

So I realized this weekend that I dare not call myself a "photographer." Although I do love to take photos and do it quite regularly, I just don't have the right equipment or technical skill to call myself a photographer. At the end of last year I did have one of my photos published in a calendar that was printed and distributed by the University, so I was beginning to think maybe I was some sort of photographer, but now I think I was letting it go to my head.

This weekend my friend invited me to the Salt Lake Photo Safari. Sounds cool no? We didn't really know what it was, but once we got there I realized I was way out of my league. Everyone had really nice big cameras with telephoto lens and tripods, etc. and I had my little dinky point-n-shoot digital camera. We didn't end of staying very long needless to say. It was all a bit over our heads. I also was a bridesmaid this weekend for my now former roommate and she had a photographer there all day as well and I asked him a little about photography and began to realize that to get "good" would take many hundreds of dollars and a lot of time.

So until I get more money and a good teacher, I will have to be content with my my little Panasonic digital and rely on my own ingenuity to take good pictures. What I love to take photos of are nature/plants and architecture, especially interesting textures and shapes. So without further adieu here are some selected photos from this week by a wanna be:






And here is the winning picture that I talked about before. It was taken in Buesa, Spain.



6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I hear you! I would love to have some classes and a really great camera, but my almost-four-year-old Nikon point and shoot is going to have to do for now.

I think you have a great eye, and that your pictures are very beautiful.

Brenda said...

You didn't take those pictures - did you?!!!

Amber said...

Oh yes i did my little turtle friend. I think I'm going to start posting a photo of mine a week on the side bar.

Brenda said...

Really? You did?! Well they are great! AWESOME!!! Can you teach me? :) I finally got a new camera - so I'm going to go try it out, maybe tomorrow - so be ready for it :)

Janet said...

Your ingenuity is impressive.

Jessi said...

These really are great pictures. I like the kid on the steps and how you forced the focus on the steps and his body; not his facial expression, which is what we'd naturally view first.