Monday, June 23, 2008

Getting Back to My Roots



I am 1/4 Swedish, I am more Swedish than I am any other nationality and I'm very proud of it. So this Saturday I participated in a holiday of my forefathers and foremothers-Midsummers. Midsummers is a celebration held at the Summer solstice, the longest day of the year. There is music and dancing and food. You wear flowers in your hair and there is also a Midsummers' pole which you dance around. I was never raised with any Swedish traditions so it was fun to go to this festival and learn something about my heritage and feel at least a little Swedish. Here are some pics.


There were a lot of darling little girls dressed up in Swedish garb with floral wreaths, so sweet.



.
I made this flower wreath myself with Birch twigs and Scabiosa, Valerian and Coreopsis Flowers.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Oooh, how stylish!

Kimberly said...

I always wanted a flower wreath for my hair. Sigh. Yours is very beautiful!