Sunday, June 8, 2008

That's Just Swell

I'm going to let you in on a little secret I discovered this weekend. The San Rafeal Swell in central Utah is a dazzling place with breathtaking scenery rivaling both Arches and Zions National Parks! I had heard of the swell a few times before, but had never been there or known what it was like, until my new roommate Megan and I decided to go exploring. We drove down on Friday morning and proceeded to get lost on a few roads in the Swell, not really knowing exactly where we were, but really enjoying the scenery.
We made camp next to Muddy Creek and stayed the night. Megan provided the camping gear and I provided the transportation-a white mini van (not exactly a All Terrain Vehicle, but more than sturdy enough to make it through the swell). Now many of you know I'm not a big camper, but I might start changing my mind. It's refreshing to take a break from the world and just go to somewhere really remote and forget about everything. And seeing the millions of stars so clearly at night against the black sky was a really good perk.

The next morning after a breakfast of bacon and pancakes we found our way out of the swell and onto I-70, taking many photos along the way. At this point we were out of gas and had to partially fill up in Emery a very tiny town on the outskirts of the swell and pay $4.20 a gallon for unleaded!!! After going through a few small towns and stopping for lunch at Sherald's Burger Bar in Price, we made our way back to Salt Lake. It was a capital adventure! Megan told me that "an adventure is just an expedition that is poorly planned." Maybe that is true, we could have planned a few things better, but we had a wonderful time regardless. Now here are some pictures.
Megan contemplates the meaning of life in a rusted out truck

The Old "Lucky Strike" uranium mine (ps I now glow in the dark)


Family Butte



Hondu Arch and company

3 comments:

Janet said...

Looks like a "swell" time. Glad to hear you like camping, it is one of my favorites. Funny you were shocked about the price of gas, here in SoCal it is $4.30 most places!

jennifer said...

The Swell looked fantastic! Perhaps I'll have to check it out next time I'm around.

Amber said...

Oh for sure, I can even take you there.