Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Walk a day...

Poppy Buds

So lately I've taken to going on walks in the evening. I guess it's my form of exercise since I sometimes (ok a lot of the time) have a hard time making myself go to the gym. But I really love these walks. I live in a beautiful area of Salt Lake that was built up in the teens, twenties and thirties and most of the homes have a lot of charm-think Tudor cottages and California bungalows. But even better than that are the lovely yards they have. Around here people have really caught on to the idea of xeriscaping with native and waterwise plants, so instead of front yards with boring mowed lawns they have heaping mounds of delightful perennials like penstemons and yarrow and red hot pokers scattered about! I like to try to identify all the plants I see while I'm walking. There are so many things in bloom this time of year.

Love this House, Isn't a red door inviting?

Variegated Iris, Sage, Yucca, thyme? and something else
Sometimes I'll take my camera along with me just in case I run into something really divine. Also depending on when I'm walking I get a great view of the sunset through the trees. Tonight was a really beautiful one, mainly pink with golds and purples. You also don't realize how much wildlife there is in these suburbs-birds galore and also their nemeses, cats, who love to loll on their driveways at dusk. I saw this one cat tonight, the fattest black and white cat I had ever seen. It waddled up the driveway and let me pet it for awhile.
I try not to think about any of my problems as I walk, but to just enjoy life and summer and nature in whatever form I can find it. Ahh...

3 comments:

ww said...

Awesome flower pictures! I have so wished you were with me lately to tell me what all the cool plants I've been seeing are. Yesterday I saw a lawn that had all gone to weed and it was covered in some yellow flowers that looked a little like daisies. It was much better than the usual field of dandelions (although those can be impressive as well).

Amber said...

I wish I was over there too, your facebook pictures look cool. I bet that yellow flower was a kind of daisy or something in that family, the composites. You know there are so many little yellow composites that when you can't id something you call it a DYC (D**n yellow composite). When do you get back?

Gwennaƫlle said...

I love the pics you took. This is just a gorgeous area to live in.